6 June 2014

Studying for exams ♡

Sorry I haven't been posting anything for a while! I'd like to say that it's because it's exam season in New Zealand and that I've been too busy studying, but that's really not true. I just haven't really had anything I wanted to write about. But after several futile attempts at trying to study and trying to come up with different techniques to try and keep on task, these are some things I came up with that helped me and hopefully for those of you who have exams as well, this might be of some help to you :)


Now I will get one thing clear, and that's that I am absolutely horrible at studying. Imagine the worst, most distracted, useless person at studying and then intensify whatever you imagined by about fifty. That's me. I just find that I'm never motivate enough and I just can never be bothered and bring myself to sit down and do something. And when I finally do manage to sit down and open up a book, I read about two or three sentences before my mind starts to wander and I get completely off task. 
And when it's serious exams like NCEA (the equivalent to O or A levels in England) you actually really do need to revise and pay attention.
So these are some things I've been doing to try and help myself stay on task :)


  • Find a quiet place where you can study.I cannot stress this point enough, if you have other people walking around or a tv in the background you will get distracted and it makes it sooo much harder to stay focused.
  • Find a comfortable spot.
    As you can see from my photo, I chose my bed. I spend about 90% of my day on my bed anyway, and for me it's just the comfiest place. Go to your comfy place to study and I find it really helps :)
  • If you're going to be spending all day studying then you're not gonna want to wear a fancy dress anyway, but I find that even if I'm wearing casual clothes I can get a bit uncomfortable so if you're like me, then I suggest wearing your pajamas because there's nothing more comfortable
  • Get your hair out ya face!
    Putting your hair in a messy bun makes it so much easier cus then you don't have to worry about it flopping into your face!
  • Listen to some quiet music.
    I know that this step isn't for most people, because most people can find music distracting but if I have some slow, quiet music playing in the background then I find that it helps to keep me focused :) 
  • Have all your books and papers ready.
    I always have everything I'm going to be needing next to me because if I have to get up and go get things every few minutes then it makes me a lot more restless and on the way to getting my supplies I can often get distracted
  • Disconnect your phone or laptop.
    If you're trying to study and your phone or laptop keeps beeping every few minutes, you'll be obliged to check it, and if you don't your mind will wonder with all the possibilities of who's trying to talk to you and why it's beeping. Disconnect it and boom! Distraction gone
  • Take lots of breaks.Normally I'll study for 30 minutes and then take a 10 minute break and go back. This sounds like a long break, but it works best for me. I normally go have a snack and watch some youtube :)
Those are all my tips for studying, and I know everyone's different and that these methods might not work for you but I found that they really work for me so I hoped I've helped some of you :) And if you're going through exams right now then good luck!! And if you're studying, don't forget to have fun and enjoy yourself even though that sounds crazy right? Fun and exams don't go together but if you're studying, don't make it an absolutely horrible experience, have some fun with it and try to stay positive and know that your studying will really pay off when it comes to sitting your exam. So good luck guys and have fun! :)


Ciao! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment